This post Happy New Year! has moved to journojohnson.com




To all my friends and followers. I hope you all had a great Christmas break. I did, although it's funny but life doesn't always turn out quite as we'd anticipated or planned for! 

2017 Christmas was to be my son's fiancee's first UK Christmas (she's American). I had hoped to cook a special Christmas dinner and show her other great British traditions and foods. However, on 20 December, just before my husband, Angus, and myself were about to go to a party, I tripped and fell and managed to impale my left hand on one of the spindles in the open dishwasher, fixing me to the ground in some pain. There ensued a trip to hospital by ambulance, an operation and lots of recovery time over Christmas. So, no cooking or cleaning for me (luckily I had written all the cards, wrapped all the presents and done most of the cleaning). Instead of me impressing Kelsey with my cooking skills, she ended up preparing the vegetables she was going to eat, and my husband, Angus, had a very busy Christmas cooking, washing and cleaning. He's gone back to work now for a rest!

But what did I learn from this? 
  1. Things don't always work out according to your plans but God is still in the every day.
  2. Miraculously although the spindle was in towards half of my hand no bones or tendons or anything vital was damaged. He is still a God of miracles!
  3. God is gracious. It was my left hand and not my dominant writing right hand.
  4. Even if our plans change we can still have a good time.
Perhaps there is a lesson here for our writing as well as life. We may not produce that bestseller that rocks the world but God is still in our writing. Also, not only have I got a great story to tell people, perhaps I now have the germ of another potential book? Nothing is wasted. May God continue to use us all in 2018 in our lives and in our writing.