This post Why write? has moved to journojohnson.com


Why do we write? I was at a writing workshop recently and several theories were put forward. Like Stephen King in my August post, you may write just for yourself because you have to and you enjoy the experience. Or another theory put forward at the workshop was that you can write in order to have a platform, in other words to be noticed and I guess, applauded in some way. I would like to think that I write in order to make a difference in the world. I would like my words to help people in some way e.g. comforting, affirming or even just sharing experiences. Ultimately, I would like my words to count for eternity.

I am also indebted to recent articles by Geoffrey Daniel and Pen Wilcock in a recent edition of ACW's Christian Writer magazine (summer edition 2015) www.christianwriters.org.uk about the need for all writers, especially Christian ones to not only write but to write well, indeed, excellently. There's no second best for any of us. I also personally believe that each thing we write should be given to God. In the light of that my novella, 'the Alpha Male' is God's and whether it's to be published or not that's his decision but it doesn't stop me trying to place it or trying to make it as good as it can be.

By the way, the young woman in the picture isn't me - I wish she was - I'm just a bit older etc!